Erskine Hill north end
  back start next
Erskine Hill leads off steeply to the right, flanked by delightful groups of cottages by C M Crickmer (1911). Like Welch, he never did better in later years. Although the detailing is austere, there is a lively mixture of brick gables derived from Parker and Unwin and narrow bay windows in the form of polygonal turrets.

Down a short drive to the left is the Barnett Homestead, a group of twelve flats for soldiers' widows, given by Sir Alfred Yarrow in 1916 and designed by J C S Soutar. It is as symmetrical as Soutar's Georgian designs although here he adopted a cottage vernacular with dormer windows.

Another short drive to the left, Homesfield, leads to an open courtyard with three detached blocks designed by Parker and Unwin backing on to Little Wood. St. Catherine's and Erskine House were originally semi-detached houses built as children's homes. Adelaide Cottage, although built as an "Eventide Home" for the very old, was surprisingly designed in the most sophisticated Lutyens-Georgian, purple brick, with red brick dressings and very small windows in relation to the great expanses of perfectly proportioned wall. It is a most distinguished building, although it looks more like a public library than a home for the old.

On the right, another footpath connects Erskine Hill with the top of Coleridge Walk. After more houses by Crickmer, Erskine Hill meets the top of Asmuns Hill, and then turns left towards the centre of the Suburb. The short length of Asmuns Hill between Erskine Hill and Willifield Green has roughcast cottages by Parker and Unwin on one side, with weatherboarded dormers, and much simpler cottages on the other side, designed by Arthur Moore, the secretary of the Improved Industrial Model Dwellings Company. This Company, which also built Waterlow Court, had originally been founded by Sir Sydney Waterlow, and had been second only to the Peabody Trust in providing towering slum tenements in the East End in the 'seventies and 'eighties. At Hampstead Garden Suburb they built sixty-five cottages altogether, with frontages to Erskine Hill and Willifield Way, mostly in terraces of ten cottages each. They are much less carefully designed than those by Parker and Unwin, yet the Trust succeeded in imposing the same human scale.

On the other side of the upper part of Erskine Hill there are several pairs of houses by Michael Bunney of the same type with mansard roof and white gables that he also used in Bigwood Road and Willifield Way - his spouthead decorated with a scallop shell is an easily recognisable trade mark. These cottages are interrupted first by Wood Side, also backing on to Little Wood, a cul-de-sac consisting simply of a U-shaped terrace of brick and roughcast, designed by W H Ward (1909). There are three white gables to left and right and two big tile-hung gables in the centre, joined by a segment-headed brick arch. According to The Builder of 1910, they were "intended as residences for superior artisans" - a remark which shows again the knife-edge between class-reconciliation and class-distinction.

If you arrived at this page via a search engine you can load the surrounding frame by clicking Find my Frame
  back start next